It is an old family tradition to awaken St. Patrick's Day morning and find that the house has been mischiefed by the "leprechauns". This year they really went hog-wild, and left us all some tasty treats. My favorite were the "Irish Potatoes" which were little balls of coconut rolled in cinnamon. We always listen to Irish drinking songs, a tradition of Heather's family (I think these songs are the only happy Irish songs I've ever heard). We had the traditional Irish meal: Corned beef, colcannan, Irish soda bread, and for dessert, black ginger cake. Even though we're predominantly Scottish and Welsh, I love celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Of course, to end the evening in style, we watched "Darby O'Gill & the Little People", one of the most charming films ever!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mairi, how wonderful! I have never heard of St. Patty's day being celebrated this way. I think it sounds like loads of fun! By the way, I still have to send you a return letter. I am in the midst of a very crazy week, but I am hoping to write you this Sunday when I am able to take a deep breath. Hope you are well!
Post a Comment