Months ago I started reading a book called 'Widow of the South'. A lady from book group had read it and loaned it to me. It was by happenstance that I realized the people, house, etc. of the book were outside of Nashville. So, we decided to go there. The house was used as a hospital after the battle of Franklin (Civil War). The lady of the house helped with the wounded soldiers, and she and her huband donated 2 acres of their land to bury the dead soldiers. Our tour guide was wonderful! He was a senior in highschool and took his job VERY seriously. He referred to the Union army as the "Federalists" and when telling us how many soldiers died, and what a large number of generals were killed, he paused for a moment, then told us he just wanted a moment of silence, so the magnitude of what happened could sink in! The house and grounds were lovely, and there was a tree in the garden that is about 200 years old. And now I need to finish reading that book!
Friday, May 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
heyy, wazzzup?
im new here chek out mii blog
Hmmm. That previous comment seems a bit creepy.
Anyway, it looks like your trip to the plantation was charming! I had to chuckle when I read about your tour guide. How droll!
Post a Comment